The royal palace

THE PALACE OF CASERTA IS DECLARED WORLD HERITAGE BY UNESCO.
THE PALACE WAS COMMISSIONED BY THE KING OF NAPLES CHARLES III OF BOURBON, WHO, STRUCK BY THE BEAUTY OF THE CASERTA LANDSCAPE, WANTED A PALACE TO BE BUILT SUCH AS TO BE ABLE TO COMPARE WITH THAT OF VERSAILLES. THE ARDUOUS TASK THEREFORE CAME TO THE ARCHITECT LUIGI VANVITELLI .
THE POSITION, STRATEGIC FOR THE DISTANCE FROM THE GULF OF NAPLES, WAS CHOSEN FOR THE DEFENSE FROM ANY ATTACK BY SEA.AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE BEAUTY OF THE PALACE OF CASERTA IS THE WONDERFUL PARK.
IT IS A TYPICAL EXAMPLE OF AN ITALIAN GARDEN, BUILT WITH VAST LAWNS, SQUARE FLOWERBEDS AND ABOVE ALL A TRIUMPH OF WATER GAMES GUSHING FROM THE NUMEROUS FOUNTAINS. THE PARK ALSO INCLUDES AN ENGLISH GARDEN RICH IN EXOTIC AND RARE PLANTS. THERE IS A SMALL LAKE, THE BATH OF VENUS, ARTIFICIAL RUINS AND STATUES FROM THE EXCAVATIONS OF POMPEII.
THE PALACE, DEFINED AS THE LAST GREAT BUILDING OF THE ITALIAN BAROQUE, WAS FINISHED IN 1845. IT HAS 1200 ROOMS AND 1790 WINDOWS.

The colony of San Leucio

IT IS THE LIVING EXAMPLE OF HOW THE BOURBONS BUILT THE NEW HAMLETS TO EXPERIMENT WITH INDUSTRIAL PLANTS ON THE BASIS OF ABSOLUTE COMPANY AUTONOMY. BORN OF A CAPRICE OF FERDINAND IV OR PERHAPS THE DAUGHTER OF THE SOCIAL UTOPIA OF THE AGE OF ENLIGHTENMENT, THE REAL COLONY HOWEVER HAS A GREAT MERIT: TO HAVE GIVEN THE START TO A SERIOUS TRADITION THAT TODAY IS STILL STRONGLY PRESENT.  THE ROYAL SITE, TOGETHER WITH THE ROYAL PALACE OF CASERTA, HAS BEEN RECOGNIZED AS A WORLD HERITAGE SITE BY UNESCO. TODAY IN SAN LEUCIO IS THE SEAT OF THE "SILK MUSEUM" WHICH PRESERVES SOME ORIGINAL MACHINERY, STILL FUNCTIONING, FOR SILK PROCESSING WHICH SHOW ALL THE STAGES OF PRODUCTION WITH THE ANCIENT FRAMES RESTORED AND OPERATED BY A HYDRAULIC WHEEL PLACED IN THE BASEMENT OF THE PALACE.
THE VISIT TO THE MONUMENTAL COMPLEX INCLUDES A VISIT TO THE HISTORIC APARTMENTS AND A VISIT TO THE "WEAVER’S HOUSE", AN EXAMPLE OF A PERIOD COLONIAL DWELLING.
Caserta Vecchia


Casertavecchia, a magnificent jewel located 450 metres above sea level, less than 10 km from Caserta, is declared a national monument for its artistic characteristics and history.
THIS MEDIEVAL VILLAGE IS CHARACTERIZED BY HOUSES WITH WOODEN PORTALS AND STONE FRAMES AND IT’S POSSIBLE TO VISIT THE CATHEDRAL, THE BISHOP’S PALACE, THE SEMINARY, THE CANONICAL HOUSE AND FINALLY AN ANCIENT CASTLE.
IF YOU HAVE SOME TIME AT YOUR DISPOSAL, IT IS ADVISABLE TO COMPLETE YOUR VISIT OF THE ANCIENT VILLAGE BY TAKING BY CHANCE THE OTHER STREETS OF THE VILLAGE TO ENJOY THE CHARM OF ITS RUSTICITY, THE SILENCE IN WHICH IT IS IMMERSED, AND WHAT REMAINS LEGIBLE OF THE ORIGINAL ARCHITECTURE, THE STONE OR TUFF PORTALS, SOME OF WHICH WITH ENGRAVINGS OF DATES AND NAMES, PERHAPS OF THE OWNERS WHO SUCCEEDED
The Campano Amphitheatre

THE CAMPANO AMPHITHEATRE OR CAPUANO AMPHITHEATRE, IS AN AMPHITHEATRE OF ROMAN AGE OF THE CITY OF SANTA MARIA CAPUA VETERE, SECOND IN SIZE ONLY TO THE COLOSSEUM.
IT WAS RAISED BETWEEN THE END OF THE FIRST AND THE BEGINNING OF THE SECOND CENTURY A.D. IN PLACE OF THE LESS CAPACIOUS ARENA DATING TO THE GRACCANA AGE, WHOSE REMAINS HAVE BEEN IDENTIFIED IN THE SOUTH-EAST.
The building was usually used for gladiator shows.
PARTIALLY EXCAVATED BETWEEN 1811 AND 1860, IT WAS DEFINITIVELY FREED FROM THE ENORMOUS MASSES OF EARTH BETWEEN 1920 AND 1930, WITH NUMEROUS SUCCESSIVE INTERVENTIONS OF CONSERVATIVE RESTORATION OVER TIME.